Building Surveys

RICS surveyors offer two forms of survey that are specifically designed to help home buyers. These are a building survey and the RICS HomeBuyer Service.

A building survey (This used to be called a structural survey)

A building survey is a customised service suitable for all residential properties and gives full details of their construction and condition. You are likely to need this type of survey if, for example, the property is unusually built or run-down, if the property has been significantly altered, or if you are planning a major conversion or renovation.

Building surveys are usually tailored to your needs. The report includes detailed technical information on materials and construction, as well as details of the whole range of defects.

More information

This information is reproduced from an RICS document entitled “Choosing between surveys”.

Read the RICS document “Choosing between surveys”


Ely Langley Greig make available their residential Terms of Engagement. This is the agreement a client will be asked to sign prior to Ely Langley Greig undertaking work.

Read the Ely Langley Greig Terms of Engagement